Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Langkawi: Here we are

We got onto the boat to Langkawi a little over 8.30am, and by 9 we were speeding in open water. We reached Langkawi jetty in Kuah at about 11ish, I really forgot to check the time. Perhaps excitement got the better of me. We hopped off the boat and rented a car. Public transport's route is not something you wanna spend time studying during a short stay in Langkawi, so instead of spending a few hundreds on cab rides, I decided to rent a car for RM110 for 2 days. I wouldn't say it's a bargain since I know it could go lower, but it's cheap enough. I know for a fact that foreigners are charged twice as much if not more.

We got a Kia Picanto, then paid for an island hopping experience tomorrow morning, had a kampung lunch near the jetty and then took off to our hotel. The drive was about 20 minutes towards Cenang Beach where our hotel is located. We got there and was given a room looking off towards the gulf. It was quite a walk to Block 4 since we opted for a single king bed instead of two double beds. By the time we reached our room, I was beginning to regret choosing a block so far from the lobby.

I remember the hotel being so majestic in those years when I came to Langkawi before. Each room is either facing the garden or the sea, with the latter with a breathtaking scenery. But after being bought over and renamed Langkawi World Resort instead of Awana Porto Malai, the room rates significantly decrease from RM1000++ pernight to just RM200-RM300 pernight. So I took this opportunity to experience staying at a hotel room where the balcony door opens up to the open sea. But I have to say that the years haven't been gentle on the hotel. The upkeep is relatively poor in general. It's clean, but some fixtures are old-fashioned and not well maintained. Frankly though I am easy to please, so by my standard, this place is heavenly.

Mr Khan apparently was too tired from not getting enough sleep, so upon checking in, he fell asleep and screwed our plan to explore the sky bridge and cable car. It's minutes to 4pm now and we would probably just take a drive around the island before dusk, if he even wakes up early enough.
I'll update in the next post of our next activity. Till then, hang tight. Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment