Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Penang: The art of being artistic

One thing becoming popular of late in Penang is the grafitti scattered all around Georgetown particularly, done artistically. Georgetown has been playing host to a number of art and literature events since the past few years.

In fact I actually saw A Samad Said at Butterworth train station while waiting for the shuttle van to ferry jetty at dawn. I felt compelled to say hi and asked for a selfie (he was with a woman, wife or daughter, not to sure) but Mr Khan was sleepy and grumpy at that time and I was half dragged into his tantrum, so I wasn't in the mood to be chatty.

Anyways, we had a becha (trishaw) ride to Hameediyah for a late lunch. I honestly can't remember the last time I took a becha in Penang. It has to be at least 15 years ago, or perhaps longer. It wasn't anything to shout about, unless you enjoy a slow ride around Georgetown's nostalgic lanes. Some buildings actually triggered specific memories, mostly with Opah (my grandmother) and some with other people. I can't say it was an entirely cheerful feeling. I did get teary a bit, mostly because I have been missing those memories. Things were simpler. Penang was my world and Opah was the world President. Oh, how time flies.

Mr Khan is all dressed up today to meet an old friend and a potential business associate. After being on that becha, he told me that he felt ashamed of getting on a becha being cycled by an old man who should be resting at home at his age. Where he's coming from, old men just rest and young men would work for a living. I told him in Malaysia, men and women both still work at sunset ages, some till they die. I feel him, but I guess when the young ones care less and less about their elderly, it is natural to expect this to happen. Not that I agree with it though.

After sending Mr Khan off to the jetty, I walked back to the hotel. I wanted to take the shuttle bus but the cold-hearted driver told me it was a short walk and threw me off the bus. Apparently walking is normal in Penang, while I can't say the same about KL. Perhaps it was because of the pretty sights that I didn't feel too tired of walking such distance. Perhaps because I walked ever so slowly. Upon reaching the hotel room though, I collapsed into bed lol.

I've done jama' though I forgot to do qasar for Dzuhr and Asr. I'd do both for Maghrib and Ishaa later. I love that about travelling. That I get to do both jama' and qasar. That my du'a will be more mustajab than normal days. That I get to push my boundaries, exceed my expectations and expand my horizons simply by exploring this beautiful dunya.

I also realise that I am most drowning in gratitude when I am travelling. Which of the Lord's favour could I ever deny?

Alhamdulillah.

No comments:

Post a Comment